Saturday, October 01, 2011

Hey Hey My My, Cool Comics Will Never Die


This weekend brings another APE (Alternative Comics Convention) in San Francisco, and I feel the pull. From my post in Oaxaca, I long to be at APE.

For those of us who can't be there, I am happy to report that you can score the best of weird, small press and alternative comics from lots of entrepreneurial distributors and shops.

Wow Cool, the long running alt comics distrib run by Marc Arsenault, is alive and well with an updated site.

King Kat comics genius John Porcellino maintains Spit and a Half zine and comics distribution, featuring many great artists like Carrie McNinch.

Sparkplug Comic Books continues to publish and distribute great quirky comics by talents like Austin English despite the recent death of beloved founder Dylan Williams.

Another stop on the mini-comics/alt comics distribution tour is Poopsheet. I can't imagine a better name than that!

You can always rely on Last Gasp of San Francisco, the venerable publisher and distributor run by Ron Turner and his son Colin. I couldn't help but link to my recent graphic novel El Vocho at the Last Gasp site, whatcha gonna do!

By kicking around a bit at these links, you can set yourself up with enough cool offbeat comics to keep you busy for quite awhile.

No comments: